Steven Harrell leads Booz Allen’s client service and business development across the Defense Information Systems Agency (DISA), the Joint Staff, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), and the Under Secretary of Defense in the offices of policy, research and engineering, and acquisition and sustainment. With over 30 years of experience across the Department of Defense (DoD) networking and communications fields, he has served diverse client organizations including the U.S. Navy Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command (SPAWAR), U.S. Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center, Missile Defense Agency, and DoD chief information officer.
Steven has expertise in satellite communications, acquisition, strategy development, modernization, and program management. He’s passionate about integrating capabilities and leveraging solutions from across the firm to deliver exceptional and efficient client service.
Prior to joining Booz Allen, Steven was an electronics engineer at SPAWAR. Since joining the firm in 1992, he has been involved in numerous high-profile engagements including:
- Performing a study on methods to improve protected satellite voice conferencing in a nuclear and jammed environment
- Developing communications architectures for Missile Defense and Nuclear Command and Control Communications (NC3) missions
- Developing the U.S. bid for the North Atlantic Treaty Organization processed satellite communications services
- Contributing to the Transformational Communications Architecture study to integrate defense, intelligence, and civil satellite communications systems
- Preparing a DoD-wide commercial satellite communications spend analysis for Congress
- Establishing a commercial satellite communication leased services marketplace for the entire Federal Government as part of the joint DISA and General Services Administration (GSA) Future Commercial Satellite Communications Services Acquisition (FCSA)
- Establishing efforts to provide DoD commercial mobile device users with secure access to unclassified and classified enterprise capabilities through Commercial Solutions for Classified (CSfC) capability packages while realizing cost and security efficiencies
Steven received DISA’s 2010 Diann McCoy Award for Excellence in Acquisition and the GSA’s 2009 Coalition for Government Procurement Excellence in Partnership Award. In recognition of client service provided to DISA, Steven received Booz Allen’s Professional Excellence Award—the firm’s highest internal award—in 2010.
Steven has a B.S. in electrical engineering from the Pennsylvania State University and an M.S. in systems engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.